A significant amount of preparation will be necessary prior to a major cosmetic surgery procedure such as breast reduction. The patient should be committed to following the surgeon’s instructions and prepare for the surgery for her own sake.
The surgeon will discuss about various aspects related to pre-op preparation during the initial consultation. The patient should clarify any concerns or doubts and ask questions about the preparation at this stage. Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Eugene Kim provides breast reduction to patients in Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, Santa Monica, West Hollywood, CA, and other cities and neighborhoods across the landscape.
Key Steps in Preparation
A few important steps will be involved in the preparation process, which should ideally begin several weeks ahead of the desired date of cosmetic surgery.
- Arrange to send health records from the doctor, specialists and hospital to the surgeon’s office for their review. This will save time during the pre-op consultation.
- Note down the list of prescription and non-prescription drugs that the patient may be currently taking and show this list to the surgeon during the consultation.
- Get any specialized mammograms, chest x-ray or lab test done, if advised by the surgeon.
- Adjust the schedule of prescription medications in consultation with the doctor, if the surgeon suggests.
- Avoid smoking for a few weeks as specified by the surgeon prior to the breast reduction procedure.
- Complete any pressing home or office assignments well in advance in order to have a stress-free recovery period.
- Arrange for transportation to return home after the surgery.
- Arrange for aftercare or have a family member or friend who is ready to stay home with the patient for the first two or three days for assistance.
The risk of complications will be considerably mitigated and the patient can expect to have a smoother and faster recovery if she is well-prepared before the breast reduction surgery.
A Day before the Surgery
The patient should consider these simple tips and follow them just a day before the breast reduction procedure:
- Have a good night’s sleep and rest adequately in the 24 hours prior to the surgery.
- If the surgery requires general anesthesia, do not eat or drink anything for eight hours prior to the surgery.
- Avoid alcohol consumption for at least two days before the surgery.
- Avoid wearing jewelry, makeup, body piercings and contact lenses on the day of surgery.
- Wear loose fitting and comfortable clothes while visiting the surgery center. Choose a top with front buttons for easy handing after the breast reduction surgery.
- Diabetic patients should have their vital parameters checked on the morning of the surgery.
It is a good idea to arrange for some items in advance at home, such as comfortable garments, extra pillows, pain medications, bandages and ice packs. Experienced plastic surgeon Dr. Kim receives patients from Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, Santa Monica, West Hollywood, CA, and nearby areas for breast reduction surgery and various other procedures for the breast, body, and face.
Click here see more plastic surgery procedures and treatments performed by Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Eugene Kim on patients in Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, West Hollywood, Santa Monica and surrounding areas or call 310-271-6996 to schedule a consultation.
Visit and follow Dr. Eugene Kim on Instagram! See his confident, beautiful patients enjoying life after breast, facial and body contouring procedures.