Dermal lip fillers add or restore volume to lips. They don’t put an end to the aging process, but can be useful in delaying the need for invasive surgical augmentation, such as lip lift or lip implants. Lip fillers can also help a patient achieve their desired facial look, making them feel more youthful and boosting self-esteem.
People lose volume in their lips over time because of:
- Sun damage
Healthcare providers in 2018 performed more than 2.1 million dermal lip filler procedures. Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Eugene Kim provides dermal fillers for lip augmentation to patients in Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Los Angeles, and surrounding communities.
Lip Filler Procedure
The treatment provider will apply a topical anesthetic before the procedure to make you comfortable. The topical anesthetic will ensure that you don’t feel any pricks or pain. This numbing cream usually consists of benzocaine, lidocaine, and tetracaine (BLT). It works to numb the lip area and starts acting within 15 to 30 minutes.
A thin needle will be used for injecting the lip filler in the desired parts of the lips after the local anesthetic becomes effective. They will use a thin needle for injecting the lip filler in the vermillion border or the lip edges, Cupid’s bow or center of upper lip, and corners of the mouth or oral commissures.
While you may not feel any pain, you may feel a mild pinching sensation. Generally, 1 ml of dermal lip filler is inserted by the treatment provider at one time. The needle doesn’t prick deeper than 2.5 mm, but it can still make your eyes water. The entire procedure doesn’t take more than 30 minutes to two hours.
Benefits of Lip Fillers
There are several advantages to lip fillers, such as:
- Lip filler procedure is safe with a low risk of side effects or complications.
- The procedure can boost your self-esteem and confidence.
- Results are reversible. The treatment provider will inject hyaluronidase, an enzyme for dissolving the filler product if you are not happy with the results.
Overview of Hyaluronic Acid Based Lip Fillers
Hyaluronic acid lip fillers improve the appearance of lips by adding volume, shape, and structure. Results can last for anywhere from 6 to 12 months depending on the product used. You may need more injections for consistent results. These are a few popular hyaluronic acid fillers on the market:
- Belotero Balance
- Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra Plus, Juvederm Volbella XC
- Restylane, Restylane-L, Restylane Silk
- Prevelle Silk
Advantages of Hyaluronic Acid Lip Fillers
Filler gel once injected shapes and supports the lip tissues. These are a few inherent benefits of using HA based dermal fillers:
- Controlled volume: the amount of product injected can be easily controlled by the treatment provider.
- Gradual pace: Your treatment provider can choose to give the injections over a series of appointments unless you are satisfied with the results.
- Dissolve bumps easily: Any bumps or lumps because of lip movement can be dissolved easily.
Cosmetic surgeon Dr. Eugene Kim receives patients from Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Los Angeles, and nearby areas for dermal fillers to plump thin lips.
Contact the Office of Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon Dr. Eugene Kim
Click here see more plastic surgery procedures and treatments performed by Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Eugene Kim on patients in Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, West Hollywood, Santa Monica, CA and surrounding areas or call 310-271-6996 to schedule a consultation.