Nose Reshaping Plastic Surgery
Many new patients are under an impression that nose reshaping or rhinoplasty is a rather minor cosmetic surgery procedure.
However, the truth is that rhinoplasty is one of the more intricate surgeries where even a small change can have a dramatic impact on facial balance and overall facial appearance. The procedure should only be performed by a fully trained and experienced surgeon in order to mitigate potential risks.
During the initial consultation, the surgeon will inform the patient about the potential risks and side effects that may be associated with nose reshaping surgery. The patient should weigh the benefits and against the risks and make an objective choice. Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Eugene Kim provides nose reshaping to patients in Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, Santa Monica, West Hollywood, CA, and other towns and neighborhoods in this part of the west coast.
Some of the risks that are common to most surgeries, including nose reshaping, are as follows:
- Poor anesthesia reaction
- Hematoma or seroma, where excessive bleeding may occur or the blood or fluid may accumulate below the skin in the incision area
- Change of sensation or numbness in the treated area
- Unfavorable scarring
- Allergic reaction
- Damage to the underlying nose structure
- Potential for revision rhinoplasty due to unsatisfactory aesthetic outcome
Risks Specific to Rhinoplasty
Some of the risks are specific to nose reshaping cosmetic surgery, which may include:
- Irregular nasal skin or breakdown of skin from bandaging or from grafting materials being exposed through thin skin, especially if nose implants are used
- Swelling inside the nose causing nasal blockage
- Damage to the septum, the delicate structure that separates the nostrils
- A raised scar at the base of the nose in case open rhinoplasty technique is applied
- Breathing difficulties through the nostrils after the surgery
Scarring risks exist to varying degree in almost every surgical procedure. But if the surgeon uses the closed technique to perform nose reshaping, the incisions will only be made inside the nostrils, and no scars will be visible on the outside. However, in case of open technique, an additional incision will be placed across the columella, which will cause a small scar.
Risk of Unsatisfactory Results
A few patients may feel dissatisfied with their final results, which could happen due to a surgical error or incorrect communication between the patient and the surgeon. Sometimes the patient may have failed to follow the surgeon’s pre- and post-op care instructions appropriately.
In any case, the patient should have a clear understanding and realistic expectations in order to better appreciate the final outcome of nose reshaping surgery. The results develop gradually and the complete post-surgical swelling will resolve over several months.
The patient should ideally wait for up to a year to allow the final results to take place, and then decide whether any revisionary aesthetic corrections are necessary. Patients in Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, Santa Monica, West Hollywood, CA, and nearby areas have an opportunity to receive nose reshaping surgery from plastic surgeon Dr. Eugene Kim.
Click here see more plastic surgery procedures and treatments performed by Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Eugene Kim on patients in Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, West Hollywood, Santa Monica and surrounding areas or call 310-271-6996 to schedule a consultation.