How Long Do Breast Implants Last?
Plastic Surgery Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, Santa Monica
Modern advancements in plastic surgery have made breast implants more durable and long-lasting than ever before. While there is no expiration date for breast implants, breast augmentation patients should not expect them to last forever. In the end, breast implants are still artificial devices that will inevitably deteriorate and break down.
The Average Lifespan of a Breast Implant
In most cases, breast implants can last anywhere from 10 to 25 years before needing replacement – and some of them will last even longer. You should visit your plastic surgeon every year to make sure no ruptures have occurred, and that your implants are functioning correctly.
The lifespan of your breast implants will also depend on which type of implant you choose:
- Saline breast implants are less likely to cause issues like capsular contracture, but they are also not as durable as silicone gel implants. Ruptures tend to occur more easily.
- Silicone breast implants tend to last longer than saline implants, but they are also more likely to cause capsular contracture, which could make removal necessary.
Your lifestyle will also have an impact on the longevity of your breast implants. For example, if you are athletic, you are more at risk of suffering a traumatic injury to your chest than other women.
Choose an Experienced Breast Surgeon
Many problems with breast implants can be traced back to the breast surgeon who placed them. If a breast implant is overfilled, it may be more prone to leaks. Additionally, the chances of capsular contracture go up if breast implants are not placed carefully, since bacteria from the surface of your skin can irritate the tissue lining in your breasts.
Dr. Eugene Kim uses meticulous techniques to ensure your breast implants are placed safely and correctly. He is dedicated to providing you with results that are not only aesthetically beautiful, but that will last for decades to come.
If you have further questions about breast implants and breast augmentation, we invite you to schedule a personal consultation with experienced Beverly Hills plastic surgeon Dr. Eugene Kim. We can discuss your cosmetic goals and any concerns you may have about breast surgery.
- About Dr. Kim
- Our Procedures
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Enhancement Benefits
- Breast Augmentation Options
- Breastfeeding and Breast Implants
- Mammograms and Breast Implants
- Questions For Your Breast Augmentation Surgeon
- Types of Breast Implants
- Questions About Breast implants
- What to Expect From Your Breast Augmentation
- Your Breast Augmentation Consultation
- Risks Associated With Breast Augmentation
- Breast Augmentation Recovery
- Breast Augmentation for Older Women
- Breast Implant Placement
- Breast Implant Shape
- Exercising after Breast Augmentation
- Loss of Sensation and Breast Surgery
- Breast Surgery Procedures
- Body Contouring
- Facial Plastic Surgery
- Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Breast Augmentation
- Photo Gallery
- Contact Us